Tag Archives: gambling

Turkish media company takes over running of Azerbaijani lottery

FEB. 27 2021 (The Bulletin) — Turkey’s Demiroren Holding, best known for its Turkish media business that includes the Hurriyet newspaper and CNN Turk, has taken over the running of Azerbaijan’s national lottery for at least the next decade, media reported. Turkish businesses have been moving into Azerbaijan heavily over the past three or four months, since Turkey helped Azerbaijan defeat Armenia for control of Nagorno-Karabakh.

ENDS

— This story was published in issue 474 of the Central Asia & South Caucasus Bulletin, on March 5 2021

— Copyright the Central Asia & South Caucasus Bulletin 2021

Uzbekistan looks for company to run national lottery

JULY 28 (The Bulletin) — The Uzbek government is looking for a company to run its new national lottery, potentially opening up to a Western operator. The government plans a new national lottery when betting rules are relaxed next year. The current lottery, which has been the only legal form of gambling in Uzbekistan since 2007, will be scrapped.

ENDS

— This story was published in issue 455 of the Central Asia & South Caucasus Bulletin, on July 31 2020.

— Copyright the Central Asia & South Caucasus Bulletin 2020

Uzbekistan to allow bookmakers to operate from 2021

DEC. 6 (The Bulletin) — Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev has signed into law a decree that will allow bookmakers to operate from 2021 in order to generate extra funding for sports development in Uzbekistan, media reported. Bookmakers have become a feature of Central Asian cities except in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan where betting has been banned.
ENDS

— This story was first published in issue 431 of the weekly Bulletin on Dec. 9 2019

Copyright owned by the Central Asia & South Caucasus Bulletin

Paddy Power Betfair buys Georgia’s Adjarabet

TBILISI/Feb. 2 (The Conway Bulletin) — — London-listed betting company Paddy Power Betfair bought a controlling 51% stake in Tbilisi-based Adjarabet for $115m and said it would buy the remaining 49% of the company within three years.

For Georgia and the South Caucasus, Paddy Power Betfair’s takeover of Adjarabet is a vote of confidence in their economies and revenue growth in their online gambling markets. Adjarabet is the market leader for online betting in Georgia, with roughly a 40% share of the market. In 2017 it expanded into the Armenian market.

Peter Jackson, Paddy Power Betfair CEO, said that the purchase was in-line with the company’s acquisition policy.

“Adjarabet’s leading brand presence and strong management team has established it as the clear number one in the fast-growing, regulated online Georgian market. Together with our Group’s technology and sports capabilities, we are confident that Adjarabet will be strongly positioned to continue to build on this success.”

Adjarabet is the trading name of Atlas, a Georgia-registered company that had been wholly owned by Tbilisi-based investment company City Loft. In 2018 it had revenues of 215m lari ($81m).

Adjarabet runs the full range of online gambling services from sports betting to virtual casinos. It takes its name from one of Georgia’s first casinos in the southwest region of Adjara.

Analysts said the Georgian and Armenia online gambling sectors were growing and were a safe investment for Paddy Power.
END

>This story was first published in issue 399 of The Conway Bulletin on Feb. 8 2019
Copyright The Conway Bulletin 2019

EGT grows in Georgia

NOV. 9 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) — Bulgarian manufacturer Euro Games Technology reported positive growth in Georgia, where it expanded its product line to several casinos. EGT, which manufactures slot machines and roulettes, said most of its machines operate at casinos in Batumi, a resort town on theGeorgian Black Sea coast. The company said it grew its market share from 25% in 2014 to 33% this year.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 256, published on Nov. 13 2015)