Tag Archives: Azerbaijan

Soccer diplomacy and statues in Armenian-Turkish relations

MAY 2 2011 – The symbolism is striking. In 2008 and 2009 so-called soccer diplomacy helped to build a reproach between Armenia and Turkey after generations of distrust and animosity. Now, a statue commemorating Armenian-Turkish friendship is being pulled down.

Armenia and Turkey had barely spoken since Armenia supported rebels fighting Azerbaijan, Turkey’s long-time ally, in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh after the 1991 breakup of the Soviet Union.

The border between Turkey and Armenia was officially closed. But by 2009 with the help of the soccer diplomacy, when the presidents of each country visited the other’s capital to watch soccer matches, they were on the brink of repairing relations. Then the process stalled.

The dispute stretches back further to the Ottoman Turks. Most Armenians say a genocide by the Ottoman Turks killed 1.5m Armenians in eastern Turkey during World War I. The Turks refute this and say hundreds of thousands died on both sides in civil fighting.

On April 26, workmen moved in to pull down a statue in eastern Turkey symbolising Turkish-Armenian friendship. The statue is about the height of a 10-storey building and was started in 2006 but had still not been completed. It depicts two people emerging out of one stone block.

On a visit earlier this year, Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the statue as a monstrosity and local officials have said they have always planned to tear down the statue.

Built to symbolise friendship, the statue may now be a more fitting symbol for the stalled reconciliation process.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 38, published on May 2 2011)

Armenia and Azerbaijan row over Nagorno-Karabakh

APRIL 30 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – Armenia accused Azerbaijan of shooting dead three soldiers within 48 hours in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh. Azerbaijan denied the charge but the row further escalated tension.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 38, published on May 2 2011)

Azerbaijan deports western journalists

APRIL 18 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – Azerbaijan deported three Swedish journalists who had tried to film an anti-government protest, said the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists. The authorities told the journalists, who worked for Swedish state broadcaster Sveriges Television, they did not have the correct accreditation.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 37, published on April 25 2011)

Police block protests in Azerbaijan, again

APRIL 17 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – Police in Azerbaijan once again snuffed out an anti-government protest. Using tactics which have proved effective in countering protests this year, police detained protesters before they had barely unfurled a banner. Reuters quoted the Prosecutor-General saying that police detained 65 protesters and later released 25.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 36, published on April 18 2011)

Opposition vow large joint rally in Azerbaijan

APRIL 11 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – The authorities in Azerbaijan could face their biggest anti-government protest so far this year on April 16 2011 after opposition groups promised to unite for the first time at a demonstration planned for central Baku. Police have clamped down hard on anti-government protests, detaining leaders the day before demonstrations.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 35, published on April 11 2011)

More anti-government protests in Azerbaijan

APRIL 2 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – Opposition groups in Azerbaijan said police arrested 15 activists the day before a planned anti-government rally. Concerned that popular uprisings in the Middle East may spread, the authorities in Azerbaijan have cracked down on protests. Police detained dozens of demonstrators at an unsanctioned rally on April 2.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 34, published on April 4 2011)

Azerbaijani opposition reporter says he was beaten

MARCH 28 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – The Committee to Protect Journalists and the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) expressed concern over media freedom in Azerbaijan after an opposition reporter said 6 men beat him (March 28, 2011). Seimur Khaziyev works for the Azadlyg newspaper. Azadlyg staff have previously been beaten and jailed for hooliganism and drugs charges.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 33, published on March 28 2011)

Armenia and Azerbaijan exchange prisoners

MARCH 17 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – In a gesture of good will over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenia and Azerbaijan exchanged one prisoner each in a deal arranged last year. A ceasefire since 1994 has maintained a shaky peace over Nagorno-Karabakh but sporadic shootouts between Armenian and Azerbaijani soldiers over the last few years have intensified.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 32, published on March 21 2011)

Azerbaijan’s police snuff out protests

MARCH 11/12 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – Police in Azerbaijan arrested about 150 people in Baku during demonstrations that some protesters had hoped would trigger uprisings similar to those in the Middle East. The protesters organised the demonstrations via Facebook but a heavy police presence snuffed out any momentum.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 31, published on March 14 2011)

London taxi cabs coming to Azerbaijan

MARCH 3 2011 (The Conway Bulletin) – The black London taxi cab will become a familiar sight in Azerbaijan’s capital Baku this year after the privately-owned Baku Taxi Company ordered 1,000 vehicles from Manganese Bronze, the British firm that makes the vehicle, according to the company. Manganese Bronze said this was the largest ever single order for the taxi cabs and was worth about $27m.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 30, published on March 7 2011)