Author Archives: admin

Tajikistan jails IS sympathisers

DEC. 4 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – A court in south-west Tajikistan has sentenced seven people, including three under the age of 18, to jail for raising a flag in support of the radical IS group, RFE/RL reported. Tajikistan is concerned about IS recruitment. The seven people received jail sentences of 7 to 27 years.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

 

Turkmenistan bans USD

DEC. 5 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – State workers in Turkmenistan have been told they are not allowed to buy foreign currencies, the dissident website chrono-tm.org reported. The website, which is based in Europe but has good sources in Turkmenistan, said that the country is running out of US dollars. Its reports have been proved accurate previously although this report could not be independently verified.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

Georgia complains to Russia

DEC. 10 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – Georgia’s ministry of defence complained to Russia that one of its helicopters had flown into its air- space without permission. The complaint heightens tension between Russia and Georgia. Relations have improved between the two neighbours since a war in 2008.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

Kyrgyzstan CBank changes rules

DEC. 9 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – Kyrgyzstan’s Central Bank changed the reserve requirements for its commercial banks to reflect the less stable state of the Kyrgyz som. It reduced the proportion of minimum reserves held in som by 4.5% to 4% of a bank’s total reserves and also increased the requirement to keep 12.5% of the bank’s cash in foreign currency, up 2.5%.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

Kazakh Kashagan to restart by end-2016

DEC. 8 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – Kazakh economy minister Yerbolat Dossayev said Kashagan would restart production by end-2016. His statement reinforces previous statements from the Kazakh government which have been more optimistic on the Caspian Sea oil field’s start date than Western companies.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

Kazakh investor to buy BTA Ukraine

DEC. 10 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) — Ukraine’s Antimonopoly Committee said it gave permission to an unnamed private investor from Kazakhstan to buy 50% of BTA Bank Ukraine. BTA Bank in Kazakhstan owns 49.9% of BTA Bank Ukraine. The rest of the shares are indirectly owned by several murky Ukrainian investment companies.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

Spar enters Azerbaijan

DEC. 10 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) — Dutch retailer Spar International opened its first store in Baku. The store carries the Spar branding but is operated by local company Araz. In a statement, Araz said it plans to open eight new Spar stores by the end of 2017 to add to the 23 stores it already operates. Spar is expanding its convenience store format across the world and is opening stores in Oman, Indonesia and Malawi.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

Uzbekistan receives Aids grant

DEC. 5 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – The Global Fund to Help Fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria has given Uzbekistan a grant of nearly $14m, media reported . Uzbekistan has one of the fastest growing rates of aids in the world.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

Armenians vote to hand more power to the PM

DEC. 6 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – Armenians voted overwhelmingly in a constitutional referendum to shift power from the president to the prime minister, a move supporters of the change said was a natural modernising step but its critics decried as a thinly veiled power-grab by President Serzh Sargsyan.

The Central Election Commission said 63% of people had voted in favour of the referendum, a far bigger margin of victory than polls had predicted in the run up to the vote.

But Armenia’s opposition said that the vote had been rigged and urged an investigation, a move supported by the US embassy.

Hundreds of people gathered in Yerevan’s central square after the referendum to protest again the result.

Turnout at the vote, though, was reportedly low, despite the high-profile nature of the reforms. Some analysts said the low turnout betrayed people’s belief that the changes had been brought in to improve the position of the ruling elite rather than update the political system.

Lilit Gevorgyan, an analyst at IHS, said that shifting to a parliamentary system was dressed up as a progressive move but was in fact a way for the political and economic elite to shore up their positions.

“It’s an innovative way of solving the succession issue,” she said.

The new rules are set to be introduced at a parliamentary election in March 2017. Mr Sargsyan is set to leave the presidency in 2018.

As well as handing a slimmed down parliament of 101 members elected via proportional representation more power, the new constitution builds in a run-off system which will ensure a majority for a single party.

This last issue was also contentious.

The reformists argued that this system avoided weak minority governments. Its opponents said it bordered on a form of totalitarian rule.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)

 

World Bank funds road in Georgia

DEC. 7 2015 (The Conway Bulletin) – The World Bank has approved funding of $140m to upgrade a motorway running east-west across Georgia, media reported. Georgia’s infrastructure needs upgrading and the east-west motorway has been identified as an important project which will improve transport routes for 2.2m people.

ENDS

Copyright ©The Conway Bulletin — all rights reserved

(News report from Issue No. 260, published on Dec. 11 2015)